Is a weathered deck making your backyard look like a scene out of a horror movie? If your deck has seen better days, don’t despair. Although a wood deck can last for decades with regular exposure to sun and rain, it will start to show its age in just a few years. The good news is that you can always take your chance to restore a weathered deck or even replace it entirely.
In this article, you will learn what you have to do in order to successfully restore a weathered deck.
A Few Prerequisites Before Initiating the Deck Restoration Process
1) Check the Structural Integrity: Before you start working on the surface of your deck, it is important to check the condition of its foundations and framing. If there are any signs of rot or damage, you will need to replace the affected parts before proceeding with the restoration.
2) Check For Rotting Wood: Once you have taken care of the foundations, you should check the condition of the deck boards. If you notice any signs of rot, you will need to replace the affected boards.
3) Choose The Right Cleaner: In order to restore your weathered deck, you will need to use a cleaner that is specifically designed for this purpose. You should avoid using harsh chemicals, as they can damage the wood.
4) Check For Moisture & Drainage: It is also highly significant to make sure that it is dry and there is no standing water. You should also have to check the drainage to ensure that the water will not pool on the surface of your deck.
The Steps to Follow When Restoring a Weathered Deck
1) Cleaning: The first step in restoring a weathered deck is to clean it. You should use a cleaner that is specifically designed for this purpose. The best way to get top-form results is to select an eco-friendly chemical rather than using harsh chemicals, as it can easily damage the wood. After all, you don’t want to end up doing more harm than good.
2) Scrubbing: Once you have applied the cleaner, you will need to scrub the surface of your deck in order to remove all the dirt and grime. This is a necessary step, as it will allow the new coat of stain or paint to adhere properly.
3) Sanding: The next step is to sand the surface of your deck. Sanding will create a smooth surface, which is essential for a successful restoration.
4) Staining or Painting: After you have sanded the surface of your deck, it’s time to apply a new coat of stain or paint. By doing so, you will ensure to apply the best protection to your deck from further weathering and give it a fresh, new look.
5) Applying a Sealer: Finally, you need to apply a sealer in order to protect your deck from harmful elements such as harsh weather, moisture, pests, and more. This is an optional step, but it is highly recommended if you want to prolong the life of your deck.
By following these simple steps, you will be able to successfully revive your weathered deck. If you don’t feel confident enough to take on this project yourself, you can always hire a professional to do it for you.
At Setup NYC, we have a team of an experienced and skilled professional handyman in NYC who can help you restore your deck to its former glory. Contact us today to learn more about our services.